A great night’s sleep is one of the most important things to have when on an adventure out of doors, and this starts with a great sleeping bag! Coleman sleeping bags are durable, warm, and with the amazing variety of options available, suited to any budget or activity!
In this article, I am going to cover the best of the Coleman line of sleeping bags. If you are looking for the best sleeping bag for camping, look no further! So that we compare “apples to apples” I want to break this down in terms of activity. It is not fair to compare a budget camping sleeping bag to a high-quality Coleman mummy sleeping bag, because these are suited to very different activities.
I am also 6’5” and 210lbs, so I will include my top picks for Best Big and Tall Sleeping Bags for all you big people out there! Unfortunately, the sleeping bag industry is great at making “Tall” sleeping bags (this is a common size) but very limited in making “Big” or wide sleeping bags. The issue many of us with broad shoulders face is our shape puts strain on the sleeping bag zippers, which can lead to a catastrophic failure! Don’t worry, big guys! I have the best Big and Tall Coleman sleeping bag for camping in my Top Picks!
I was hiking in Northern Oregon as the seasons began to change and the nights became just a bit more chilly. I was using a worn sleeping bag that was just a tad too tight around the shoulders; one night as the temperature neared freezing I found myself stuck without a functioning sleeping bag zipper! That might not sound terrible, but the issue is simple; when you cannot zip up, your bag can not properly insulate your body! I was bivy camping so the nylon of my bivy served to help insulate me a bit more, but without being able to properly close my sleeping bag, I was COLD! This was the first time in my life I actually slept close to a fire to stay warm enough through the night, instead of for pleasure. I was careful to size my sleeping bags correctly after this!
Before we get into my Top Picks, let’s talk about what makes a great sleeping bag!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG
The basic function of any sleeping bag is to insulated you from the environment while away from your home. Whether you are using the sleeping bag in a tent, a camper or RV, or even out in the open with a tarp or the stars themselves overhead, the environment should dictate what level of insulation you need to be comfortable.
1. RATING: A sleeping bag is rated to a certain degree for two basic categories; comfort and “survive-ability.” Be SURE you know which rating you are viewing before you purchase a bag! 25Deg in a bag rated for 30Deg comfort might not sound like a rough night, but let me assure you, it will be! Decide where you will be using your sleeping bag, and choose a bag that is rated lower than what you expect. For example, if the temperature is going to hover around freezing, a 35deg bag will be cold while a 20deg bag will keep you insulated. In this situation err on the side of caution.
2. INSULATION: A sleeping bag will be manufactured from one of two insulating materials; down, the natural insulation from feathers, or synthetic insulation, which seeks to mimic the action of down. All the Coleman sleeping bags on the market today are synthetic blends, which will resist bacteria, keep their loft for many years, and most importantly, continue to insulate you even when you get wet!
3. SIZE: Your body will be working to heat the air in your sleeping bag throughout the night, so if there is a lot of extra space you will not be warm! On the other side of the coin, if you happen to be in a bag that is too small, it will not properly cover you, or it might not contain enough air inside to keep you warm at night!
4. SHAPE: There are two main shapes of sleeping bags to choose from (apart from Big and Tall or Double) for your adventure. A Rectangular sleeping bag afford lots of space to move your feet but does not keep you as warm as a mummy. This is great for a shared tent or campsite. A Mummy-shaped bag tapers down at the foot, with can feel constrictive, but ensures you stay warmer due to less air space to warm up at night. These can be better sleeping bags for hiking.
INSIDER’S TIP: If you and your partner purchase the same brand of sleeping bag, there is a good chance you can zip them together to form a comfy double-width bag!
OK, now that you have a good idea of what to look for in your next Coleman Sleeping Bag, let’s get into my Top Picks!
The Best Coleman Sleeping Bags
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG - #1 BEST MUMMY BAG – THE COLEMAN NORTH RIM EXTREME WEATHER SLEEPING BAG
This is the beast of the Coleman line and so I had to put it first on my list of Top Picks! However, this is a diesel bag rated from 0deg to 10deg, so on those cool summer nights the Coleman North Rim will be complete overkill. This bag has some options included that I rarely see on other brands priced three or four times what this bag is listed at!
- 100% synthetic ensures you stay warm when in damp conditions
- Offset quilt construction eliminates those pesky cold spots
- Sturdy double zipper
- Sculpted Hood and Chest Baffle cover the two places you always need to be warmer!
- Not available in Long (6’2” is about the comfort limit)
- Reported zipper issues – be careful with sizing per my instructions!
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG - #2 BEST MUMMY BAG – THE COLEMAN SILVERTON 25DEG SLEEPING BAG
Let’s be clear with ourselves; most of the time when we are headed out to the back country we are not interested in sub-zero temperatures and blizzard conditions. Many of the camping trips I went on as a kid were in the fall and spring (or lakeside camping in the summer) and we never needed something rated for lower than 30-40deg. The Silverton 150 is perfect for most conditions you will find during regular camping seasons and at this price, I am putting this at #1 economic pick for a technical mummy bag! If you aren’t sold by now – this bag comes in men’s and womens!
- Shaped, sculpted hood keeps you from losing heat during the night – for those cold mornings, keep your nose outside and cinch the hood as tight as it will go!
- 100% polyester great for damp camps and cold nights!
- Durable rip-stop shell
- Compatible – zip the his and hers together for a great night of cuddling!
- Wears faster than a more expensive bag
- On the heavy side to pack-it-in hikers.
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG – #1 BEST RECTANGULAR BAG – THE COLEMAN PALMETTO COOL WEATHER SLEEPING BAG
The Palmetto stands out in the crowd as my favorite! In the sea of potential choices for a rectangular sleeping bag, this is one you really have to put your hands on to notice. The inside is soft and sleek, and makes for an incredibly comfortable night in the campground!
- Poly fill stays lofty and warm throughout the night!
- Great sleeping bag for camping and also sleep-overs!
- Open foot design keeps you comfy while you turn at night
- Runs SHORT – do not get this bag if you are over 5’10”
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG – #2 BEST RECTANGULAR BAG – THE COLEMAN BRAZOS COOL WEATHER SLEEPING BAG
The Coleman Brazos is an excellent sleeping bag for camping. The insulation used is a bit heftier than my Top Pick #1, and so this bag will be slightly warmer. Although all of my Top Picks are great for their particular categories, the Brazos is going to be a choice when the temperature falls on your next car-camping trip!
- FiberLock® construction keeps the insulation from shifting around at night
- 100% machine washable
- Compatible zippers – pick up two of these for a great double width bag!
- Inner material can feel rougher than my other top picks
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG – #3 BEST RECTANGULAR BAG – THE COLEMAN GREEN VALLEY COOL WEATHER SLEEPING BAG
The Coleman Green Valley is another awesome Coleman Sleeping Bag for camping, just add S’mores! I love the liner and the hefty synthetic insulation. I used a bag like this as a young camper, when my sisters kept to their spot in the pop-up camper we always dragged along, I was out with the wildlife in my dome tent!
- Cotton Flannel inner is super soft to the touch
- A full 3lbs of ColeTherm® insulation
- Specially designed zipper keeps you snag free!
- Runs short – not great for tall people
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG - #1 BEST BIG AND TALL SLEEPING BAG – THE COLEMAN BIG GAME
The Coleman Big Game wins my choice for best Big and Tall rectangular sleeping bag on the market. This hefty bag is rated BELOW freezing and with this amount of insulation you are certain to stay warm on the coldest nights! This is a great basecamp bag for hunters; with a cot and a canvas tent this will be your home away from home!
- Classic canvas cover and cotton flannel lining make this my favorite-feel Coleman sleeping bag!
- Washable (commercial machine only)
- Big enough for the biggest campers and hunters!
- Custom double zipper prevents snags
- SUPER WARM – do not pick this bag up for summer camping!
TOP PICKS FOR BEST COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG – #2 BEST BIG AND TALL SLEEPING BAG – THE COLEMAN MONTAUK
The Montauk is on my list at #2 although there are some features I considered deeply for the #1 spot. What makes the Coleman Montauk stand out in my mind is the neck roll and extended lip of the back of the bag, perfect to make sure the space between your neck and head stay toasty throughout the night!
- Ready for an adventure and rated for 20deg
- Big and Tall for campers up to 6’5” (remember my height from the beginning? 🙂 )
- Easy to store and rolls up in a breeze
- Included stuff sack
- Limited availability – Coleman may be phasing this design out
NOW THAT YOU HAVE THE PERFECT COLEMAN SLEEPING BAG, LET’S TALK CARE AND MAINTENANCE!
• Always store your Coleman sleeping bag fully lofted; if it sits in a closet, a hanger is best to make sure your loft stays nice and high. Always store your sleeping bag DRY and in an area that does not allow moisture to enter and create microbial issues in your insulation.
• Be sure to spot clean any spills immediately, and wash your sleeping bag regularly with approved technical washes. The oils from your body can migrate across the nylon inner and prevent the insulation from lofting as well as it should.
• Your sleeping bag will age! Be sure to take this into account, as the insulation is constantly compressed and relieved, it will lose it’s loft, which in turn prevents it from insulating as well as it should.
Now that you have the perfect Coleman sleeping bag, be sure to take it on some great adventures!